Finally doing an outfit post in what feels like forever! I’ve been battling a nasty cold since Monday and unfortunately had to miss a couple days of classes. Not looking forward to making up everything I’ve missed but apparently learning how to be a physician doesn’t prevent you from getting sick yourself. The past few days I’ve been cooped up in the apartment and really needed to get out. Hubby and I were supposed to watch Ant-man during the week but the cold kind of prevented that so we decided to do it today. There’s been a pretty intense heat wave going through SoCal the past few days so I wanted to keep my outfit as light as possible. I’ve been wanting to style this piece in an outfit post for a while and I’m glad the weather kind of forced me into dressing up a bit heh.
When I first started watching beauty gurus on YouTube, my favorite videos to watch were monthly favorites. It’s pretty much how I learned about new products that I wanted to try and they usually worked out for me. So I thought it would be cool if I did the same on the blog. I’m probably not going to do this every month because I mostly use the same products so it’d be pretty redundant but I’ll probably do them every so often.
Beauty Favorites – I have oily combination skin so keep that in mind when reading the reviews of these products!
- Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream Oil Free in Light/Medium – This product is a bit of a misnomer because the ‘cream’ has a relatively runny consistency and feels more like liquid foundation. The packaging isn’t the greatest – it would probably be better off with a pump style container. BUT I’ve been using this BB cream as my go-to casual ‘foundation’ for years now, pretty much since I started using make up regularly, and I absolutely love it. It gives me the perfect amount of coverage and is extremely light so it’s perfect for every day use. I use it throughout the year and it can be a bit drying during the winter so I’m a bit more generous with my moisturizer (below) during those months.
- Botanics Shine Away Mattifying Day Cream SPF 15 – I had literally been searching for a moisturizer for my strange oily but not oily skin for yeaaaars until I stumbled upon this jar of goodness at Target. This is probably the product I’ve repurchased the most in my life (I’m pretty sure I’m on my seventh or eighth jar at the moment). I have to say that I don’t think this moisturizer is actually mattifying BUT after using various moisturizers for years, I’m happy to finally have a product that doesn’t leave my skin even oilier.
- Essie Matte Topcoat “Matte About You” – I’ve stepped up my nail game recently and I have this weird thing where, despite having many colors to choose from, I stick to the same three or four nail polishes. So I’ve been in this in between stage of being bored with my favorites but also not wanting to try something new – perfect solution: matte topcoat, makes things different but not too different. I picked up the NYC matte topcoat a few years ago but it never really did the trick so I decided to purchase this Essie one. This topcoat is absolutely perfect! It goes well over any color and dries almost immediately. I’ve been playing with my nails all week because I’m obsessed!
- LOFT Jumpsuit – This jumpsuit has definitely been one of my favorites this summer. It’s such an easy outfit to ‘put together’ because you literally just put on shoes and you’re done. I love the color and that the fabric is super airy. Unfortunately, it’s no longer available on the website but I did see them in a couple Loft stores in the past few weeks so check it out if you have the chance!
- H&M Booties – These booties have been getting a lot of love this summer too! I love pairing them with leggings and oversized shirts (that’s exactly what I wore today…). It’s such an easy way to make any casual outfit a bit dressier and I know it sounds weird but I actually like wearing these in the summer. The California sun has definitely done it’s number on my feet over the years and wearing these booties helps protect them from further damage.
- Necklace stand – Until recently I thought of myself as someone who didn’t really wear jewelry much until I realized that I’m actually just really lazy. Ever since we moved to this apartment, my jewelry has been stashed away in a box under the sink where I never give it a second thought. I realized that I would actually wear it somewhat regularly if I actually remembered it existed… so I purchased this lovely necklace stand for my necklaces. Most of my necklaces are quite long so this tall stand was perfect and it goes really well with the stand I recently purchased for my bracelets. I’ll be doing a post on home decor/organization some time in the future so I’ll share more on those things in the future.
I hope you all enjoyed a bit on some of my favorite products this summer! We’ll be leaving on vacation in a few days and then I’ll start second year as soon as we’re back so things will probably slow down a bit around the blog. I just want to say thank you to everyone who’s joined me this summer and I hope that you all stick around for the long haul! As usual, if there are any posts that you’d like to see specifically, please share!
For more regular updates, follow me on instagram!
Hope you’re all enjoying your summers!
It was hubby’s birthday this Saturday and we celebrated at dinner with family and friends! It was really great to celebrate with almost all the people he cares about all in one place, which hasn’t happened in a while. We went to this amazing halal Chinese restaurant and definitely ate too much heh.
For my outfit, I wore one of the other jumpsuits I got during the Loft sale a few weeks ago. It’s this really pretty army green color and is so incredibly comfortable. The fabric is relatively thin but still opaque and because it has longer sleeves, I don’t have to worry about layering!
I’ve been wanting to do this post for so so long and finally got a chance! This is an OOTD with one of my favorite pieces: this mustard yellow midi vintage skirt! One of my good friends runs the cutest online vintage clothing store. She finds all these one of a kind pieces herself and sells them at such affordable prices! I’m all about supporting small businesses and Ladies Who Lunch is definitely one of my favorites. Hafsa does a phenomenal job finding pieces for women of all sizes and styles. You can also check out their Instagram here for more regular updates on all new pieces! I’m currently gushing over all their midi skirts and dresses.
Finally had the chance to do a date night with hubby in what feels like forever! It’s definitely difficult to juggle both our schedules plus other family engagements but you gotta make time for what’s important. We went to one of our favorite seafood restaurants in our city. Hubby isn’t a fan of sushi so the only time I get to have any is when I go out with friends or we go to a restaurant that serves other things as well so this place is a great compromise. Although I do end up getting tempura so that he can enjoy it a bit too (yes, I know I’m so considerate…). Read More »
Went out to dinner with my family last night to celebrate moving onto MS2. I’m so blessed to have such a supportive family. They’re always in my corner, cheering me on and praying for my success.
Firstly, I just wanted to share with you all that I passed my exam!! I’m officially a second year medical student!! Thank you so so much to all of you who reached out with love and support. It truly means so much and I’m so grateful. And so excited to finally enjoy summer!
Before moving on, I just wanted to quickly share what I usually wear to non-clinical finals/exams. The name of the game is definitely comfort in these instances because you don’t want anything to cause you to lose focus. I purchased this t-shirt from an online Islamic clothing store called 5ivepillars a few months ago and have worn it to every final ever since. Actually now that I think of it the only time I forgot to wear it was the musculoskeletal exam and I failed that one, so…
I’ve been pretty cooped up at home studying for the past few days but one of my good friends was visiting from abroad and I’m so glad I got the chance to catch up with her for a few hours! Hanging out with people in Ramadan can be a tad awkward since “hanging out” is usually a food/drink centered activity and we’re fasting, so… But we found a shady spot and just sat and caught up after not seeing each other since December and it was really great. And since I was actually leaving the apartment, I had a reason to put on real clothes.
The weather has been so strange here in SoCal. It’s summer so it’s pretty warm but it’s also been overcast and humid. The weather was giving off a fall vibe so I went with it.
I hope you all had a wonderful Father’s Day with the father figures in your lives! And to those of you who weren’t able to celebrate with your fathers, for whatever reason, so many prayers and good vibes your way.
For my first outfit post I thought I’d stick with the two things I think about when choosing an outfit: modesty and comfort.
And of course it’s impossible to take a photo without giggling when hubby is taking the photos.